Monday 21 September 2009

The bald and the beautiful*

Ah, the weekend has passed, the orangeness patchily subsided and once again I find myself on the couch, waiting for the week to begin...
And while waiting, indulging in a little "Days of our lives"-action.

The love/hate affair I have with daytime soap operas is not new but seems to come and go in waves, forever ebbing and flowing, pulling me in and releasing me from it's hypnotizing and possibly incestuous embrace.

At times (not all that surprisingly these times often coincide with the times of paid employment) I have not the slightest hint of interest for them, scoffing at the outlandish intrigues at hand and rolling my eyes while changing the channel and letting out a patronizing "puhleeze" under my breath.

And then there are other times, the less productive (and much more recent) times spent on the couch, where the windowless and apparently time warped existence of the Brady family casts me under it's spell and has it's way with me.
Then usually I have a little nap.

I do realize that I am but one pregnancy away from waving my hand in my child's face while yelling "Be quiet Lula-Mae, mama's watching her stories!!"
And as horrifying as that may seem, at least I'm not married to the half brother of my daughter.
At least not that I know of.


*This is what my fourth grade English skills lead me to believe was the title of that famous soap opera. It made sense to me at the time, but then again, so did over sized hypercolour t-shirts.

5 comments:

ladytruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ladytruth said...

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched 'Days' or 'B&B'. It might have been when Ridge actually still looked like a human and not a walking cheekbone and Bo Brady was still young enough to ride his motorcycle without his walking stick.

Cwybrow said...

OMG! Ridge IS a walking cheekbone, that's the perfect description! Yeah, it's been a long time.
You're going to name your firstborn Lulu Mae???

Josefine said...

ladytruth - see, that's the beauty of these shows, you leave them be for a couple of days/years and when you return it's as if you never left. I am pretty sure that having alzheimers disease is a lot like watching B&B non stop.

omchelsea - no. there will be no lula mae's in this family. it was just horror-vision setting in, which always makes me an overweight bogan living in a trailer park, naming her children billy bob and lula mae. *shutter*

Jenno said...

I grew up on soaps... I remember all too well my mother waving me off if she was engrossed. The favorite in our house was always "All My Children." It's been a long, long time since I've willingly watched one though. I prefer the mindlessness of reality TV (Tool Academy) and adult cartoons (Family Guy, Robot Chicken) nowadays.

Jenno
http://lajenno.blogspot.com