Sunday 12 July 2009

Probably lacking vitamin D now that I think of it...


For the past two years I have somehow managed to avoid summer.
Instead, what I have done is moving back and forth, Sweden - Australia as to live out a sort of self inflicted "Groundhog day" state of perpetual winter.

I guess this would lead you to think "Wow, I guess those Swedes really do like their winter".
Not so.
Much to the confusion of people I meet here in Australia, when asked if I ski I truthfully respond no.
The conversation that inevitably follows always goes something like this:

"Oh, so you're a snowboarder? Yeah I guess more people snowboard now."
"No, not really. In fact I've never been on a snowboard. Or a pair of skis for that matter. It just never appealed to me."
"(Puzzled pause)... really?"
"No, I'm making all this up because I take joy out of making pointless jokes about not skiing."

(That last part is silent.)

Anyway, this is beside the point. What I was getting at is that no, I don't particularly enjoy cold weather or things associated with cold weather, so why am I doing this to myself? Is it possible that somewhere deep down in the murky depths of my subconscious I loathe myself and this is the subtle yet life draining punishment I chose? If so... wow. Pretty sneaky of you, me.
It's like having an evil twin sister trying to sabotage my life for her own gain. Only more schizophrenic.

Ah well, we all have our flaws.

3 comments:

Extranjera said...

Skiing is the devil at work. I think you have done well to avoid it. Regardless of there having been ample opportunities.

Kudos.

kristine said...

i have all kinds of understanding on all kinds of levels for what you say. I am a norwegian who has gone out of my way for years to never encounter winter anywhgere. Just rainy seasons. and those, i can deal with.

(I did quite like skiing at one point though)

lacherie_17 said...

Ha ha this entry is great! I haven't avoided summer by jumping hemispheres, although I miss a good chunk of the summer sunshine by being stuck at work. I hate when I go down South and people ask me where I'm from:

"Where y'all from?"
"Cleveland, Ohio."
"Sure is cold up there, huh? Snows a lot, too."
"It sure does."

They then proceed to make me feel inferior without actually calling me out on being from Ohio by saying they couldn't handle snow.

And they can't. It makes me feel slightly better when I wake up and see four inches of snow outside and know that the people in my city won't freak out because they've never seen snow before.